The Coordinator, Professional Skills and Entrepreneurship, is responsible for implementing Empowerment Squared’s professional skills and entrepreneurship program as well as identifying opportunities to fill in programming gaps including the development of resources and curriculum to further Empowerment Squared’s mission and vision.
Working alongside fellow coordinators and the Professional Skills and Entrepreneurship team, the Coordinator, Professional Skills and Entrepreneurship will be responsible for planning, outreach and administration in delivering professional skills and entrepreneurship programming as well as supporting the Southwestern Ontario Black Business network activities and operations in Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent in partnership with WETechAlliance.
About the Organizations
Empowerment Squared | Based in Hamilton, Empowerment Squared is a Canadian charity that is building a world where everyone is empowered with the tools and opportunities to thrive and contribute to society. We do this by empowering newcomer and marginalized youth and communities in Canada and across the world to succeed through mentorship, access to post-secondary education, information literacy, and sports and recreation.
WETechAlliance | WETechAlliance is a Regional Innovation Center (RIC) in the Province of Ontario that acts as a hub for the acceleration and commercialization of innovation and technology in Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent Counties. WEtech’s mandate is to create economic prosperity by removing barriers to the creation and growth of technology and tech-enabled companies. WEtech works with start-up companies and growing firms, and partners with similar organizations to support growth, innovation and prosperity.
Pay: $50,000 to $60,000 annually (to be negotiated based on skills and experience) including benefits
Start Date: Immediate (to be negotiated)
Hours: Full time (40 hours) per week
Term: 2-year contract
Location: WETechAlliance’s Office – Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, 2nd Floor inside EPICentre | 2455 Wyandotte St. W., Windsor, ON N9B 0C1
• Familiarity with Windsor-Chatham’s Black and newcomer communities and Black and newcomer engagement is an asset
• Strong business acumen an asset
• Knowledge of, and practical experience addressing and resolving, issues and concerns of black entrepreneurs including those who are from underrepresented groups and those who are working in tech and non-tech sectors
• Experience with mentorship, program, and event coordination
• Knowledge of entrepreneurial ecosystem is considered an asset
• Ability to put together workshops/training sessions and facilitate in front of groups
• Demonstrated leadership experience working with diverse groups including not for profit organizations, community groups, businesses, schools and other community stakeholders.
• Customer service experience and strong interpersonal skills
• Proven organizational and time management skills including the ability to work with tight deadlines and
• Excellent communication and report writing skills
• Ability to put together and make presentations that include topics such as project status, milestones,
achievements, budget and risk management
• Excellent verbal, written, listening communications skills including demonstrated leadership and
organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast paced, multi-cultural environment.
• Proven ability to think and lead strategically, plan effectively, set priorities, meet deadlines, and make decisions while paying attention to detail and quality.
• Entrepreneurial and prudent risk-taker who considers out of the box solutions, is willing to question traditional ways of doing things, and suggests well thought out, articulated solutions
• Ability to build strong professional relationships by demonstrating exceptional interpersonal skills, sound professional judgment, and high levels of integrity and accountability
• Ability to work with little or no supervision while making judgement calls under pressure
• Ability to foster effective working relationships within a team environment.
• Contribute to and oversee the development and delivery of various programs and services to Black Entrepreneurs, including workshops, events, and those being delivered by partner organizations
• Perform and oversee program participant screening, advisor matching, and follow-up
• Develop and manage relationships with mentors/advisors and community partners
• Organize and deliver virtual / in-person events, with support from staff and partners when available, to foster the development of a Black Entrepreneurship Ecosystem in Southwestern Ontario area.
• Lead outreach processes to attract and engage entrepreneurs in the Windsor area
• Research and promote programs, services, and resources that are available to black entrepreneurs and offered by provincial and federal governments and not-for-profit organizations; develop relationships with such organizations
• Manage the project schedule, timelines, and milestones, carefully monitoring all aspects of the project, and coordinating the work and contributions of partners and contractors; engage other staff members from the Southwestern Ontario Black Business Network as appropriate.
• Tracking and reporting program targets/metrics
• Maintain budget and track expenditures for Black Entrepreneurship programming and related programs
• Provide leadership and direction to ensure successful execution of all aspects of the project, including compliance with the terms of the contribution agreement and delivery of the statement of work
• Manage and compile communications pieces including for monthly newsletters, etc.
• Collaborate with partners and stakeholders by building and nurturing effective and collaborative networks and relationships with colleagues and stakeholders across the Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent Entrepreneurial Ecosystem, seeking opportunities to enhance outcomes through partnerships, and implementing strategies that enhance collaboration and achievement of objectives
• Represent organization and partners positively within Southwestern Ontario and that of the surrounding region, and with outside agencies
• Will often have to work outside of normal office hours
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• This job description is subject to change at any time depending on the needs of the organization
• University degree or college diploma in related field or equivalent business discipline
Apply to this position via our Tech Jobs Board posting HERE.